Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Client 09-31; Day 16

It's tricky, asking for information. You can never tell what's going to make someone defensive, and defensive to hostile is a short, quick step. This business is tricky -- in some situations, like this one, we're hired to be adversaries.

Mrs. X met me for breakfast, looking about 15 years younger than usual in jeans and fleece. She was unfazed by my questions about Emily F and her child, and told me that the child was her brother's. I didn't even know she had a brother -- one of those things I didn't know enough to ask. Half-brother, as it turns out, the family black sheep. Later in the day I was able to track him down, confirm the story. Even if it's not true -- and I have no way to know -- this is all very plausible, enough to deflect any media attention.

So what's the Senator worried about? Not sure how much more time to spend on this. I asked S., who said that decision was up to the client. Decided to go back even further; Dorothy brought me a stack of old yearbooks, and I'll chase down some college buddies tomorrow.

Home at a reasonable hour -- cherry blossoms are close to peak -- Godfather II on cable. Good to spend an evening at home for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment